Friday, December 5, 2014

Diction Handout

1. "...I only climbed on the spare spar and leaned over the rail as far as i could..."

2. Opaque: not able to be seen through; not transparent 
The side of the ship made it hard to see part of the ocean clearly
Paraphrase: 
The side of the ship had made a huge shadow. Then there was something near the ladder A light had flashed and i wasnt able to recognize what it was. Then it hit me i saw it.  A headless corpse glowing a greenish hue. I had dropped my cigar which fell making a hissing sound. I had stared down at the mystery of the sea.
3. The elevated tone just makies the passagae seem for sophisticated. While paraphrasing it just made it easier to understand not that complicated.


4. "The cigar dropped out of my gaping mouth with a tiny plop and a short hiss quite audible in the absolute stilness of all things under heaven."
"With a gasp I saw revealed to my stare a pair of feet"


"One hand, awash, clutched the bottom rung of the ladder."

"A short hiss quite audible in the absolutestillness of all things under heaven."

5. Author didnt use a name so the story could feel abit more mysterious 

6. The Secret Sharer is a person who shares without others knowing.

7. 
Cadaverous: looks like a corpse/ dead : negative
Darkling: growing darkness : negative
Pale: lacks in color : negative
Phosphorescence: a glow : neutral
Ghastly: horrifying 
Headless: without a head: negative
Fishlike: looking like a fish : negative 

No comments:

Post a Comment